Wednesday, February 22, 2012

5 Things I've Learned So Far About Motherhood

First off let me say I am NOT a perfect Mom, not even close. These are all things I strive to do as a Mom. Somedays I do pretty good, somedays not so much.


1. You have to put your oxygen mask on first......
You can't give absolutely every ounce of yourself to your children. You will lose yourself. Taking time for yourself, spiritually, mentally, and physically makes you a better Mom. Every morning I hop on the treadmill with my ipod and enjoy doing something for myself physically. It's good thinking time, it helps my mood, and someday it will help my @$$ look smaller :) I try to fit in a few bubble baths throughout the week. Always after the boys are in bed because can you really enjoy a bath while your children are running around the house doing who knows what? I can't. I've just been trying to find little ways of fitting in things that I enjoy. I was bad at this when my oldest was a baby and after a while I felt like I had completely lost myself. I thought being a good Mom meant devoting every second of every day to my kiddos, and putting myself on the back burner.

2. Mom Guilt sucks......
I never knew how much I would beat myself up about every single thing until I had kids. Holy cow I am so hard on myself. Mommy guilt is fierce. Every night after our boys are in bed I pretty much run through everything I did wrong that day. Not spending enough one on one with each child, raising my voice, not feeding them enough veggies, letting them watch too much cartoons, you get the point. There is so much to do wrong, but what if we focus on what we do right and build from there? The great thing about being a Mom is that the next morning you can get up and try again. Focus on what you are doing right. Being a Mom is the absolute hardest job there is, (and if you try to tell me different I will cut you), go easy on yourself. I really need to take my own advice on this one.

3. Everyone has an opinion......
Everyone thinks they know everything about how to raise YOUR children. Super annoying. I've learned to just smile and in my mind picture slapping them across the face. What works for one child may not work for your child. There is no rule book on motherhood for a reason. Every child is different. Don't let others opinions make you question yourself. Go with your gut.


4. Sometimes you have to be a bitty......
I have learned you have to speak up. My two year old has had a horrible cough for over a month, the doctor shrugged it off as allergies..... turns out it's pneumonia. I KNEW it wasn't allergies, my mommy gut told me it was something more serious. I wish I would've spoke up in the doctors office weeks ago, suggested the doctor actually listen to his lungs. Instead we ended up in the emergency room with a very sick boy. Lesson learned.


5. Encourage, be patient, show affection.......
These are pretty self explanatory. I really try hard to encourage my kids. Remind them of everything they are doing right instead of everything they are doing wrong.
Patience.... something I sometimes fail miserably at but I am trying to do better. I've noticed with my two year old (who is CRAZY) if I kneel down at his eye level, take his cute chubby cheeks between my hands, and almost whisper what it is he is doing wrong, he is much more responsive than when I shout. It has worked miracles. And maybe he won't remember me as the yelling Mom after all. Affection is a big one. So important in my opinion. Kids need love. They just do. Their soul needs it. I try everyday to find cuddle time, give lots of hugs, and kisses (only to my two year old because my four year old thinks he is waaay too cool for that). I want my kids to know without a doubt that I love them.

3 comments:

  1. April, you are honestly the best mom I know! You are so patient and kind and loving. I admire you so much and want to be like you! I love you, and remember how much your kids love and adore you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. April, you are an amazing Momma!!! You do so much RIGHT!! I truly admire you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are way too hard on yourself. After putting up with Kendalls butt all day, you deserve a break!!

    ReplyDelete